Wednesday, April 6, 2005

The Adventure I Will Never Forget

Sorry for such a late post about my trip. I was too tired Monday to do anything and Tuesday, when I went to blogger.com, it was down. So, here it is, the shorten version. I am going to leave the trip part out of it. I can't relive that part of the weekend again. I have been thinking of what I have been wanting to write about and trying to remember everything about this weekend. But getting lost in Tennessee, having to navigate, and dealing with 24 hours plus of non stop rain was not what I signed up for. I have said that I would go through just about anything to get to see a race at BMS (Bristol Motor Speedway). Well, that just about happened. All in all, it was fun. We made the best of it and I think I made some good friends. It is a weekend that we will never forget.

BMS was all I thought it was and then some. When I first walked out of our camp ground, I could see BMS. Our camp ground was about a mile away and BMS took up most of the horizon. I couldn't believe my eyes. It is enormous. When I walked into it, my jaw dropped in amazement. Not only do they fit 43 cars on a half mile track. They stuff 155,000 people in that speedway. They are presently building another 30,000 seats. We sat in the fifth row, half way between the start finish and turn one. Ahhhhhhhhh, the smell of exhaust fumes.

The race was awesome. There were a lot of wrecks. We were so close that you could see into the cars. It was so nice to show Jeff Gordon some sign language. I think Rusty Wallace had the car to beat. He was weaving through the traffic with ease. He eventually got tied up in a wreck and fell behind. Kevin Harvick's car came to him late and was able to walk away with a win. He went back Monday to get the Busch Series win too. JR came away with a top five finish, finishing 4th. Jimmy Jackass got a top ten so JR didn't gain much in points. JR is still 310 points back, but gained 9 positions, he is up to 17th. The biggest surprise was Kyle Petty getting a top ten. Who would have thunk it?

Hopefully next week at Martinsville, JR can actually gain some points.

No comments: